Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Review: LORAC aquaPRIME

I wanted to give a shout out to LORAC's aquaPRIME. It's a water-based makeup primer that I decided to try on my last visit to Sephora, because it's been so hot and humid here my makeup has been sliding off my face almost immediately. I was attracted to this primer because it's water-based and doesn't have any harsh or harmful ingredients that would irritate and/or clog up my sensitive, acne prone skin (LORAC is great for that). I got a sample that I have been using it for over a week now, and I have to say that I love it. My makeup has been going on so much better and lasting so much longer. I still get a little bit of shine after several hours (and I always will, just cause that's my skin), but it's not even in the same ballpark as it used to be. It's so little shine that I don't really feel the need to blot.

Just by way of background, I have combination skin that tends toward oily in the summer. It's also very sensitive and acne-prone, as I mentioned. Historically, I have had trouble finding a good balance for it. I have tried other primers like those from Smashbox and Tarte, and I have also tried the anti-shine primer from Sephora. They all made my face more oily. If you have similar skin issues to mine, I think you will like aquaPRIME. If your skin is dry, you might find that it's not moisturizing enough, and if your skin is oily, you might find it isn't mattifying enough. This primer has really helped me though. I apply a thin layer of it after moisturizing and before foundation and it has really worked beautifully for me. I just purchased the full-size bottle. It's not pricey as far as primers go; it's about $30 for a decent-sized bottle. A little goes a long way ... like I said, a small sample lasted me for over a week.
The packaging is alright; I found it a little difficult to get the product out, having to pump a few times to get the desired amount. I like that it's not messy though, and because it's so conservative it keeps you from using too much. I'd rather have it that way than have primer flying all over the place. The consistency is thin and feels like a very watery gel. It's cool and quite refreshing on the skin.
Overall I think this is a great product and I will definitely re-purchase for use during the summer months ... I will also try using it in the winter months too, although I don't have as much issues with shine at that time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment