Thursday, June 3, 2010

Review: J.Crew Croquet-stripe Caprese tunic

I ordered the Croquet-stripe Caprese tunic ($38) in the dusty shale colorway. I had heard that it ran large, so I ordered both my normal size S and an XS just in case. Indeed, to say this top runs large is a gross understatement. It is easily a full size too big, if not more.
I am 5'5" and a 36B, normally a size 4 or size S in J.Crew tops. 98% of the time this is the case. This tunic clearly falls into the other 2%, because not only did I take an XS in it, but the XS was actually a little roomy. Smaller/petite ladies will definitely be sized out of this one, unfortunately. It's a shame, because it's a lovely tunic.
The fabric is a soft, lightweight cotton, but it is not sheer. It feels almost like a chambray. As the description on J.Crew's website states, the stripes are woven into the fabric as opposed to being printed on, which results in a nice texture in both the tactile and visual senses.
Here is a swatch of the fabric (click on it to see it larger):

The color in the swatch is a little washed out from the flash, but it shows the texture nicely. You can see that there are thin ivory cables at at the edges of the shale and ivory stripes, and that the main blue part of the tunic has ivory interwoven into it. It's really very lovely, and I recommend it if you are thinking about it.
Also, just be aware that the front buttons are placed pretty low on the placket, though I did not have problems with the neckline gaping open; the coverage was fine for me. The only issue I had was wearing a cross-body bag ... I felt like the strap on the bag pulled open the "v" in the front a little bit, but my husband assured me that nothing was visible when that happened. In the future though, I might wear a cami underneath when I am wearing a cross-body.
EDIT: This top just arrived arrived at my local b&m, and the price is $49.50, which is $11.50 higher than the price online. Really, J.Crew?

No comments:

Post a Comment